The different visas for the USA: tourist, work and student

As part of a business trip or for a tourist trip, if your stay exceeds 90 days in the United States, you must have a visa, even if you are a citizen of a program beneficiary country. visa exemption and that you thought you could get an ESTA authorization . Those who wish to work or study in the USA, must meet the same requirement. There are two types of visas in the United States of America: the green card for permanent stays and the non-immigrant visa for temporary stays. We will look in this article on this last category. In the USA, there is indeed a multitude of non-immigrant visas, whose validity varies from several months to several years and which allow foreign nationals to be in a regular situation. This type of visa will be essential before entering the United States, whether for tourism, to work for study.

What visa for students?

The F-1 visa is that of students who are enrolled in American universities or who want to study in schools. Beforehand, you must enroll in a school that will have to issue you an I-20 form. This document will allow you to be registered in the SEVIS database, otherwise you will not be able to get your USA visa. You will then have to go to the US embassy or consulate to obtain your visa.

The US government has set the cost of this visa at $ 160.

What visa to work in the USA?

For those who wish to live and work in the United States without the green card, obtaining a non-immigrant visa is essential. One of the most coveted visas that addresses the concerns of workers is the H-1B Visa.

This type of visa is particularly difficult to have, the US State seeks indeed to promote priority its citizens on the labor market. Be aware that, on the one hand, it is subject each year to a maximum quota, and on the other hand, it requires the sponsorship of the future employer. If you go to Uncle Sam’s country without having found a job beforehand, you will not be able to get this work visa. On the other hand, it is customary for the host company to bear the visa fees imposed by the consular authorities, so this procedure will not cost you anything.

If you get the H1-B visa, you can work legally in the USA for 3 years, and you can renew it once.

The price of this visa is slightly higher than that of the tourist and student visa. To obtain it, you will have to pay a sum of 190 dollars.

Tourist stay in the USA: which visa?

If you want to implement a long tourism project to discover all facets of the United States, it will be necessary to apply for a B-2 visa. To acquire this travel document, you will have to prove the reason for your arrival in the USA. As a first step, you will have to fill in form DS-160, once this formality is done, you will be summoned to an interview at the US Embassy. Remember to provide you with supporting documents to prove that your stay in the US is limited in time and that you have enough financial resources to meet your needs until your return.

In addition, the B-2 visa can also be used to visit your family or for medical treatment.

The validity of the tourist visa can be up to 10 years maximum, however, each stay in the United States must not exceed 6 months.

In the same way as the student visa, to obtain a B-2 visa, a total amount of $ 160 will be required.